View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?
I understand that, but the suggestions above to take it out by booking a player when the official did not have the guts to book the coach are gutless.

NV replied: Who suggested that? I've reread all of the posts in this thread and not a single person advocated such. And once again this forum can do without the negative personal attacks."

Here is where you have told us you were willing to book a kid to win a battle over a coach:

In my recent match, white got a corner kick. When I looked over to the area between the benches, white had two players there and green had one. Thus I prevented the corner kick from being taken and gave the signal to my AR1 to adminster the substitution process (two quick blasts of the whistle). White's coach now made a fuss claiming that he didn't want to sub on the corner and that green shouldn't be allowed to get their player into the game. I told him that if his players were over there, then they had to sub. He disputed that. So I stopped the clock, trotted over to him, and quietly explained that unless they were over there to sub, they couldn't be out of the team area, and in that case I would have to give each of them a caution. Obviously this didn't please him at all. So as I backed away I asked the coach, loudly enough for the opposing bench to hear, "So, your guys really do want to sub, right?" He now said, "Yeah." I told him that was an excellent answer and we got on with the match.

This is not a personal attack, so please don't play that whiney card. You have given it to us in black and white, and make no qualms about this approach. That is your right, but it is my right to be able to tell you I think you have it all wrong with the approach.

Did you diffuse the situation with your threat/promise to book his subs? How about with your end comment to him? I prefer to not fan the flames with a coach, and that is the point I have been making in every post here. You choose to do so, and that is your prerogative, but it just doesn't work for me.

It is instances like this that lead coaches to speak poorly of a referees attitude. I am sure you would not want the smart aleck response from a coach to you, if he caught you in something right?

I know, I know, we here coaches give those types of responses all the time. Again, do we take the high road, or to we try for payback? I have slipped to the payback mode myself, too, but I know it is not the right road.