View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Rut, since you are an experience football official let me ask you a serious question that relates to this thread.

Would you have called the offside penalty against the player from Louisville on the FG attempt by Rutgers at the end of that game?

The player clearly crossed the line of scrimmage prior to the snap of the ball, but he didn't touch anyone, nor did he continue to rush. He stopped and actually backed up as the offense snapped the ball and took the kick, which they missed. Did he affect the play?
Let me first clarify my football experience. I do not work college football (at least not varsity game) at this point of my career. I have worked many JV games this year because our area is soon going to 7 man for many college games and there are evaluating officials for the future. I have not been in a position very often to rule on such a call in a actual game.

Secondly, I definitely would have called an offside penalty in the play you described (The play would have been shut down in NF Rules by rule). I saw the play live and I called this penalty before the penalty was announced or before ESPN let you know in their graphic that there was a flag. Not only was it obvious, it was the expected call and the very common call in the game of football. Calling offside and false start penalties are some of the easiest calls in the game of football to make because everyone sees them. Offside penalties in football are not any different than a FT shooter clearly stepping into the lane before shooting the ball. It is obvious to everyone and not a close call.

I really do not know what you are trying to imply with this question (but I will play along). In my opinion of what a T is in basketball is much more similar to an unsportsmanlike penalty/personal foul in football. If we can prevent these being called we do everything in our power to do so as football officials. If we are put into a situation where everyone sees the infraction or everyone knows what the common call is, then you apply the rules accordingly. This is a fine line, but this is why you see the rookie apply the rule differently than the long time veteran. Why, because we could literally call this every single game at some time. I think Bob summarized my philosophy to a tee (and what other officials do where I live). I also work some college and calling a T for this would get me and others fired for not preventing a very preventable situation.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 02:07pm.