View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
Not completely clear on NFL rules but here goes:

I believe the NFL has a rule where an eligible receiver cannot be covered up, regardless of what happens during the play. I may be wrong there, but they have some very different rules regarding that type of stuff.

On the pass, I think Carolina tried to challenge whether he was forced OOB, which apparently you're not able to challenge in the NFL. So they weren't challenging whether he was simply in or out, but that he was forced out, which can't be challenged.
An ineligible cannot line up in an eligible position in the NFL without reporting. An eligible cannot line up in an ineligible position. This includes an end covering up a "tight end."

This evil little set of rules is why I've had coaches in VARSITY GAMES try to have a player report himself eligible.

Not to mention a varsity head coach in the area's biggest conference trying to argue players were ineligibly downfield.....ON A PUNT.

I have a stock answer for coaches...."That's a Sunday rule, Jim." For ones I like I'll add..."and if we were working on Sunday we'd make a lot more money."