View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaBlue
1st situation, I can't remember who had the ball, but A had a tight end to the left and a wideout to the left who was covering up the tight end. It was a running play, but the wing flagged it at the snap. The R's explanation was it was an illegal formation because an eligible receiver was covered up at the snap. They had 7 on the line and it wasn't a pass, any idea why this was flagged?

2nd situation I'm curious about is the Keyshawn Johnson catch that was ruled incomplete in the endzone. The deep wing wasn't in the best position to rule on in/out of bounds, and the replay showed that Johnson's elbow first landed in bounds. The Panthers tried to review, but the R said it wasn't reviewable. Why not? Also, was the deep wing in the correct position (about 5 yards past the goal line and 2 -3 yards OOB, the catch happened right in front of him but he had no angle on the OOB line.)? The wing official was running up the line behind the play, but the deep wing signaled incomplete immediately without even looking to the wing.
Not completely clear on NFL rules but here goes:

I believe the NFL has a rule where an eligible receiver cannot be covered up, regardless of what happens during the play. I may be wrong there, but they have some very different rules regarding that type of stuff.

On the pass, I think Carolina tried to challenge whether he was forced OOB, which apparently you're not able to challenge in the NFL. So they weren't challenging whether he was simply in or out, but that he was forced out, which can't be challenged.