View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
There is an unannounced change in one of the Case Book rulings. I do not agree with the new ruling, but here is the change that the NFHS made:

2005-2006 Version:
5.12.4 SITUATION B: Regulation play ends with a tied score. Even though Team A has used all its allowed time-outs, A1 requests a time-out before the overtime period begins. RULING: The time-out is granted and results in a technical foul. The additional 60-second time-out provided for an overtime period cannot be used until the overtime has actually started with the ball becoming live. This overtime begins with the technical-foul free throws by Team B, followed by a division-line throw-in opposite the table. (10-1-7)

2006-2007 Version:
*5.12.4 SITUATION B: Regulation play ends with a tied score. Team A has used all of its allotted time-outs. Team A requests a time-out before the overtime period begins. RULING: The time-out should not be granted. The additional 60-second time-out provided for each extra period(s) shall not be granted until after the ball has become live to start the extra period(s).
At least they put the asterisk by the case play to note that it was new / changed.

I agree that the "old" case play was better -- from a game management standpoint, though, I would explain to the coach that s/he didn't get the extra TO until the OT started and ask if they still wanted the TO.