View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Umpire Has No Chalk

Quote:
Originally posted by sandinfla
All rules have the description of the batters box. I work Little League, they have 2 distances off the side of the plate, 4 & 6 inches. I always keep those sizes in my mind when I'm behind the plate. Flagrant or not, if you see it call it. Also, get an idea where your front & back lines lay. Measure your feet, step off your distance & scratch the clay to give yourself an idea of where that line is.
--------------------------------------------------------
If teams want me to call the foot out of the box then let them get there early enough and line the field. It has to be real OBVIOUS when no lines are drawn. The only time I draw lines for the batter are situations in which the catcher or the defensive manager are complaining. I might also do so at lower levels if I think the batter is in the wrong place and might jeopardize the catcher. I'm not going to tell the catcher to move back if the batter is out of the imagined box. Jim/NYC