Thread: Field Markings
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Field Markings

I had the honor of doing a state championship game on Friday. One of the best things about it was working the wing position with college markings. There is a 2 yd white area between the 25 yd. lines where NO one can be in there except officials. Even the chain crew is lined up behind that zone. (on the back edge of it) This made my job a LOT easier and it was a whole lot safer. Behind the white zone is a 2 yd. zone where the coaches are and behind that is the players zone.

This year the FED made it mandatory that the chains are 2 yds off the field. I think this was a big step and I believe that we "broke the ice" with that. I urge you to contact your state rules guy ASAP and recommend that the FED go to the college field markings.

Now, of course, the first thing they will say is that there isn't enough room on some fields. So be it! Make it mandatory where the field has room for it. I don't think a minority of field situations should determine what the majority of schools can do for improved safety and game management. Don't accept the "not enough room" statement as an excuse for positive change.

Go for it!