View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrvs326
Like Ive said before I am a relatively new official, but just now got serious. I need some help on a issue that I have. This is kind of vague, and I expect to get different point of views. I am not really sure what to be "thinking" when I am refing off-ball and then on-ball. For example, this happens to a lot of officials, but I am just looking around, and then out of nowhere, someone trips and I have no idea what happened. Was it a block, was it a charge, etc.? So that is my question, what are you thinking when you are watching the paint? Also what are you trail when on-ball, ect. I know all of this will perfect with experience, but I need to learn what it is I need to be doing. I have 5 games tommorow, so I will practice all of this. (also quick question, what do you prefer: rulebook or officials manual?)
Stop watching the ball. Watch the players in your area. Stay wide so that you can see more. If you do not see the entire play, then it's nothing.

You need all the books: rule book, case book and official's manual. You can't choose one and ignore the rest.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith