View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

I agree. The mask and shinguards are probably about the same thing.

But, a catchers chest protector is NOT very good protection. You WILL get hurt using one behind the plate.

Plate shoes are a MUST! They are heavy duty, and protect you in many different ways.

NO SPIKES FOR UMPIRES!

You may work half your high school season to make back your investment into gear, but in the summer, there will be MANY MORE GAMES, and you can make some decent bucks if you have good availability. Assignors LOVE new guys with good availability, because there are bunches of lower level tournaments on weekends. You can knock yourself out with 3 games a day during those!

As you move up, the money gets a little better. But, all in all, you are not going to make huge bucks umpiring. I actually lose money during the high school season! Baseball will never pay what I make at work!

LOOK AND ACT THE PART! The bottom line is, if you look and act the part of an umpire, you will have a better season, and will be apt to come back for another year. If you look like a doofus out there, you are going to get a lot of grief! While you appearance won't tide you over for a whole game if you are a bad umpire, it will at least buy you a few innings before they start harping on you! But if you look goofy AND call a bad game, people will be on you after the first pitch!

Look the part. Buy decent umpire gear. The ol' saying "If you buy cheap, you will buy twice" comes to mind.