View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Gimlet, the point is, there is one proper way to handle this situation. If you don't know the way to handle it, and you do it incorrectly, that's one thing. But you are being told the correct way, and you're arguing against it. Whatever valid argument you have, it doesn't matter. The way to correct this error is prescribed and your arguments are meaningless. Whether or not coaches ever believe anything you say doesn't matter. You need to be right. And if you are told what's right, and then you don't do it, it doesn't matter what the coach thinks, because you'll be wrong. You can plan on dealing with know-nothing, over-emotional coaches for the rest of your career, because the coaches who know and who expect proper rules won't want you doing their games, unless you use proper rules. It's just that simple.
WOW!!! Man what a post!!! Felt like I was be reprimanded by my Mother.(per Neva)!!!First I wasn't saying that I was correct or that whoever was incorrect. In fact I said that I thought either way would work depending on exactly when the official blew the ball dead. Either as B was getting the ball or after he had secured it. I was writing my thoughts, and to see if there would be another way to handle this Sit. without invoking the correctable error. It was my understanding that is what is good about this open forum.

On the contrary I know how to invoke the correctable area and think that I have a fairly good understanding of the rule. The original OP listed a good question and I was writing some options for the discussion. Enough explaining.

My original thought was that a VALID argument could be made that the ball was already dead....someone asked to list a rule....here it is...Rule 6-7 Art.2"the ball becomes dead, or remains dead when," "It is apparent the free throw will not be successful on a : a. Free throw which is to be followed by another free throw..

If the table said 2 shots , the calling official said 2 shots, and if they are in the 2nd half, so the offensive teams coach hears this and is expecting 2 shots, and maybe most of the A team thats in the box thinks its 2 shots. Then all of the sudden the Admin. official verbalizes 1 & 1 and only the low block B players pick up. Shot, they move and get the rebound. My question to you, if you can maybe keep your composure is....if the table, & calling official both said 2 shots wouldn't this fall under 6-7 Art. 2a. If so, the ball is dead and we simply explain the RULE that the ball was dead because there was supposed to be 2 shots and the ball stays dead after the first throw when a second throw would follow? Just asking...surely your not against a little discussion that gets our brains thinking more in depth into the rule do you? I'm in no way shape or form saying you are wrong. Just wondering if this route would work as well. If it does then all of the players would get the same opportunity to rebound the ball.

If you had read the previous posts you would have realized my little comment about the coaches not believing us was a joke in response to the post JR left. Please don't take what I say out of context. If you really want to try and scold me or somehow lecture me please take the time to read all of my comments not just one or two.

Looking forward to your response.....I want everyone to know that I know my english and grammer both suck! Hopefully you still get the jest of what I was saying.

Last edited by Gimlet25id; Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 12:12am.