Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just because bodies collided, does not mean there was a foul or that there needs to be something called. If bodies fall to the ground, I want to know why. If I did not see something, I definitely do not want to just make something up.
No kidding...Know one said to make anything up. I'm not referring to just bodies colliding. Talking about ILLEGAL EXCESSIVE CONTACT that leave player/players on the ground. I'm not sure your ever going to get my point.

Quote:
What is going on in the C's area? I do not know about you, but I can see a screen in my coverage area when I have the ball in my area. If you referee the defense, you can see a screen develop. Also, a screen is often not a “no-brainer” call in my opinion. Most screens that are illegal are often iffy at best.
Sure we ought to be able to referee more then two players @ A time. The play I shot @ you was a BACKSIDE screen that was a ILLEGAL screen that leaves a defender on the floor. Not a so called iffy illegal screen.

Quote:
The reason I told this story was to illustrate how people in two different positions can see different things. I thought the foul was a "no-brainer" and my partner did not. Then because I was out of my area, it was something that came to the attention of the evaluator.
You might have thought it was something to get...however it obviously wasn't. I'm not referring to MARGINAL contact or even MARGINAL fouls. I'm talking about the big one you see from time to time that makes you say, "why wasn't there a whistle on that play?"

Quote:
I do not recall anyone using the term "never" when they talked about calling outside of their coverage area. I do recall that there are people saying not to go out of your way to make calls in your partner's area. Give your partner a chance to make a call that they clearly can see.

If you have a quote then we can go on from there, but stop saying people said something they did not say.
Here is the quote I was referring to. From the thread starter
Quote:
Basketball, in the 8 years I have done it, seems to be much more focussed on "If it aint in your area, don't call it".
Again, read the whole thing and you may actually get this....

Quote:
I am not sure what camps you attend, but you go to camp to prove your ability, not to help a lesser official out. This is much more the case a camp than it ever will be in a regular game.
I attended five D1 camps this summer as well as the last few years. In the camps I've been to and the games I work this philosphy is common place. Your statement is wrong about camps. I'm wondering what you work now if your mentality is what it is. College supervisors are looking for "R's" not "U's" They want to find those people who can take care of the game, make their partners better, and are willing to step up when the need arises. This then proves your ability!

Quote:
I am not going to camp to show I can call a foul out of another partner's area. Also not one evaluator at this camp I referred to suggested anything you have suggested. Now all of them were D1 officials or D1 evaluators. So I will take their advice on what to do.
Really...Nobody said that you should prove that you can call in your partners primary....Again I'm talking about the help call.
Quote:
Also when there was this "excessive contact" you keep trying to refer to, they got on the official that missed the call in their primary.
If there was excessive contact that the clinician is getting onto the official who's primary it was in then I'm sure that same clinician would've been saying good job if one of his partners would've helped out with the play.Its still ultimatly up to the primary official to get it. Give him/her first crack then if they don't get then you get it. Either the C to L or T to L or L to C. I guess thats why there this thing I've been talking about called, "secondary."

Quote:
I am not adopting a philosophy that I feel does not show unity amongst a crew or shows you give your crew member the benefit of the doubt.
Then don't adopt it. Maybe your OK where your @ and thats OK. If you want to move up you have to be willing to help your partners out if the time arises. If that time arises and you give the right help then that in fact shows unity in the crew.

I guess double whistles are out of the question for you then. In my neck of the woods double whistles help solidify either your call or your partners.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting you call marginal plays on top of your partners. I'm just talking about the WHALE plays that we all know we have to have a whistle.

Whats more important to you? Getting the play right or staying in your primary only and whatever happens out of it happens.

If you don't agree thats ok. It is what it is!!! I was just trying to make a point way early on that there are times you have to call outside of your primary. Somehow we got this far down the road. It's good discussion and maybe it helps somebody out.