Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yeah, I can attest that tomegun is one of the strictest adherents to the "stay in your primary" philosophy in the officiating community. Now let me add that despite his being a skilled referee, I believe that this fact has served him very well when he has worked with top officials. It certainly prevents him from ticking off those of them with big egos, and they come away from the game feeling that he is a great partner with which to work who does his job and lets you do yours.
Again with the egos - why should we be worried about the egos of our partners? Our job isn't to stroke the egos of our partners, and come away from the games making them feel like they have worked with a great partner. Nice side benefit, but you could work the worst game of your life, and come away with a partner who felt you did a great job, and that means something?

Also, why do I care if my partner thinks I do my job and lets him do his? I and my partner are there to WORK TOGETHER and officiate the game. Not to do my job and let him do his. Sounds very much like an "Officiate your primary ONLY, and i'll officiate my primary ONLY, and everything will work out perfect, because that is how the mechanics gods want it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Actually it's more sad than funny. I'm amazed at the number of people that try to rationalize away their "ball-watching" by using the old "get the call right" excuse. Maybe it would be easier to just reverse the 2-man mechanics to keep 'em happy. The Trail takes everything below the foul line extended on his side including the lane, and the Lead takes everything about it. That's basically what they're advocating anyway.
Not even close, and that is just silly to even propose it - I am assuming you were making a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Please note that I'm not talking about the very odd time that you should reach and help out your partner. These situations just don't come up that often. I'm talking about ball watching, the same as you, which is exactly what David Rinke et al are advocating.
I am not in any way trying to rationalize ball watching, nor is it what I am talking about. I am challenging the assertion that they don't come up that often. I have developed a very good sense of watching off the ball, and am very happy with the increase in the amount of action I pick up on away from the ball. You are equating ball-watching with calling things out of your primary. These two are not necessarily synonymous. I completely agree that if both officials are watching the ball, no one is watching the other 8 players. (and I say both, because most of my references are to 2 man mechanics) But there are many circumstances where you have NOTHING to watch in your primary, and your vision, according to the mechanics gods, should extend into your secondary area, and therefore, you might get a call out there. You should be darn sure of it, but you have every right, by rule, to call it.

I really do hate it, when I do (once in a while) make a call outside my area, when a coach, who is even FURTHER away, complains "How are you calling that from over here?" - "Um, because I saw it, and chose to call it, and have every right to. How are you complaining from behind me, even further away?" I haven't gone that far with any coaches, but have said "Because I saw it? And you're complaining from back there, further away?" They think because you are the off official, you shouldn't be calling things you see - that you don't have a right to officiate anywhere on the floor. Not that they should be concerned with instructing their players, and teaching them that what they did was wrong.

If these mechanics are so gosh darn important to the game, why have they not been made rules? There are rules sections related to the officials - why not move mechanics into the rules, and simply say, if everyone is so certain that off-officials make bad calls so much of the time outside their primary, that they're not allowed to call things outside their primary? That would solve the problem right there - you can't call it because you're not allowed.

Last edited by drinkeii; Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 07:03am.