View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Eligibility based on the number of quarters played is a "point not specifically covered in the rules" and the interplay between eligibility requirements and substitution rules cannot logically be inferred from the written rules.
I agree.

Quote:
If, in this case, rather than eligibility issues, the player were to be injured, blood was discovered on his uniform, or the scorer suddenly notified you that he had five fouls, there would be no timeout required to remove him from the game. So why require one in the case of an eligibility issue?
Because all of the reasons that you gave are clearly stated in the NFHS rules book as reasons that a player shall be directed to leave the game. There is no such provision for a kid who has played too many quarters by state or league adoption. I suppose that you could covertly tell the kid to untuck his jersey and then direct him to leave the game for wearing his uniform improperly. This situation calls for some creativity from the referee.

Quote:
Though it doesn't address this issue specifically, I consider 10.5.4 situation (a) as a precedent as to how the rules committee wishes to handle a situation where a player is in the game inadvertently, and should not be. "As soon as the error is discovered, the player is removed from the game, no penalties are assessed."
That example applies to a player who is erroneously permitted to be in the game although his participation is contrary to the NFHS rules. It has nothing to do with his eligibility due to grades, age, or other school/league regulations.

Quote:
A little elasticity is a good thing.
Yeah, on our part. However, I have seen a team be forfeited BY THE LEAGUE because a jv kid played the first 20 seconds of the 4th quarter. So while we can sometimes be lenient, the league office may not be. Therefore, I recommend that we do what we can to get it right.