Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 02:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
My no brainers are the calls that are excessive contact, backside illegal screens that cause the defender to hit the ground, collisions with bodies on the floor, ETC., ETC.
Once again a very subjective statement you are making. Just because bodies collided, does not mean there was a foul or that there needs to be something called. If bodies fall to the ground, I want to know why. If I did not see something, I definitely do not want to just make something up.

Quote:
Your correct in what you are doing. Let me give you a play and tell me what you think. Your C opposite table, the ball is above free throw line extended outside the 3 point line in T's primary between the 3 point line and sideline. Above the free throw line, near opposite free throw lane line, just below the top of the key. ( Trails primary area) You see a back side offensive screener who slides into a defender going to the ball and knocks that player down. T is still refereeing the ball match up. Who's call is this. even though it happens in T's primary?
What is going on in the C's area? I do not know about you, but I can see a screen in my coverage area when I have the ball in my area. If you referee the defense, you can see a screen develop. Also, a screen is often not a “no-brainer” call in my opinion. Most screens that are illegal are often iffy at best.

Quote:
This isn't my definition of a no brianer call. If the clinician has to go to the L and ask if he had anything then you know it was a call you should've laid off. Because if it was a no brianer then your partner and the clinician would've thanked you for getting it. Suppose the play you had here was a player getting hammered to the floor and lead didn't get it. Then you came in and got it. Hopefully your understanding what I'm getting @.
The reason I told this story was to illustrate how people in two different positions can see different things. I thought the foul was a "no-brainer" and my partner did not. Then because I was out of my area, it was something that came to the attention of the evaluator.

Quote:
You see I'm not saying that you shouldn't trust your partners because you should. What started all of this was someone saying you should never come out of your primary. I was merely saying that isn't always true. Most of the time yoou won't. But there are times you have to like the play I listed earlier. You have primary and secondary areas of coverage. You secondary will always over lap your partners area.
I do not recall anyone using the term "never" when they talked about calling outside of their coverage area. I do recall that there are people saying not to go out of your way to make calls in your partner's area. Give your partner a chance to make a call that they clearly can see.

If you have a quote then we can go on from there, but stop saying people said something they did not say.

Quote:
If you happen to maybe consider this philosphy and the next time you go to a college camp and your on a game with maybe lessor experienced officials and the contact I'm referring to happens, & you step up and come in and get the call....watch what the clinicians say then.

Supervisors @ the collegiate level will tell you that if there is excessive contact that causes players to go down hard and there is no whistle, they say when the coach calls them they can't defend the official because a whistle wasn't made. If a call would've been made right or wrong call they can defend. They can't defend the no call.
I am not sure what camps you attend, but you go to camp to prove your ability, not to help a lesser official out. This is much more the case a camp than it ever will be in a regular game. I am not going to camp to show I can call a foul out of another partner's area. Also not one evaluator at this camp I referred to suggested anything you have suggested. Now all of them were D1 officials or D1 evaluators. So I will take their advice on what to do. Also when there was this "excessive contact" you keep trying to refer to, they got on the official that missed the call in their primary. They did not get on official that had other things to watch in those situations. Maybe this philosophy works where you live, it does not where I am. If it works for you, more power to you. I am not adopting a philosophy that I feel does not show unity amongst a crew or shows you give your crew member the benefit of the doubt.

Peace