View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
The rules allow for a team to play with less than 5 players (without my books with me so not sure if playing with less than 5 requires having all but 4 DQ'ed), but I'm thinking the substitute at the table requirement is necessary for a sub to enter, but is there anything that prevents the player from going to the bench and A playing with 4 until the next substitution opportunity (if smart a foul upon the ball being inbounded). Just thinking through options.
A team must play with five if they have five who are eligible, however there are reasons other than DQ which would make a team member ineligible to enter the game.

For example, a team has only six on the roster. The coach subs in A6 who has four fouls for A2. During the ensuing throw-in and prior to the ball being touched inbounds, A6 is charged with his fifth foul. The clock correctly did not start. Clearly A6 must leave the game, but since no time has come off the clock A2 cannot return to the game. In this situation Team A would have to play with only four players until the next opportunity to substitute. There would be no penalty to Team A for this.