Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well if you are talking about no-brainer calls, you sure do not know how to admit that. Also remember what is considered a "no-brainer" call is very subjective
My no brainers are the calls that are excessive contact, backside illegal screens that cause the defender to hit the ground, collisions with bodies on the floor, ETC., ETC.

Quote:
I work a lot of 3 man mechanics. There is a lot to watch when you have 3 officials working the game. Most of the time I am officiating I am never watching anything that goes on in my partner's area. Of course there are dual areas or I see one part of the play and my partner sees another part, but I definitely am not watching for a long period of time in my partners area. Many times if I see something in my partner's area, I did not see the entire play.
Your correct in what you are doing. Let me give you a play and tell me what you think. Your C opposite table, the ball is above free throw line extended outside the 3 point line in T's primary between the 3 point line and sideline. Above the free throw line, near opposite free throw lane line, just below the top of the key. ( Trails primary area) You see a back side offensive screener who slides into a defender going to the ball and knocks that player down. T is still refereeing the ball match up. Who's call is this. even though it happens in T's primary?

Quote:
I went to a pretty big time camp this summer for the first time. I have been to other D1 camps but this is one I attended was had people all over the country, not just a region. I got ripped apart for making a call as the trail official deep into the lead's coverage area. The evaluator asked my partner what did he see on the call. He responded that he had nothing that he thought warranted a foul.
This isn't my definition of a no brianer call. If the clinician has to go to the L and ask if he had anything then you know it was a call you should've laid off. Because if it was a no brianer then your partner and the clinician would've thanked you for getting it. Suppose the play you had here was a player getting hammered to the floor and lead didn't get it. Then you came in and got it. Hopefully your understanding what I'm getting @.

Quote:
And it was said over and over again at this camp about trusting your partner and working as a team. I was not the only person that was made an example of as it related to this kind of situation, but that does not fit the point of view you are spouting off on this site.
You see I'm not saying that you shouldn't trust your partners because you should. What started all of this was someone saying you should never come out of your primary. I was merely saying that isn't always true. Most of the time yoou won't. But there are times you have to like the play I listed earlier. You have primary and secondary areas of coverage. You secondary will always over lap your partners area.

If you happen to maybe consider this philosphy and the next time you go to a college camp and your on a game with maybe lessor experienced officials and the contact I'm referring to happens, & you step up and come in and get the call....watch what the clinicians say then.

Supervisors @ the collegiate level will tell you that if there is excessive contact that causes players to go down hard and there is no whistle, they say when the coach calls them they can't defend the official because a whistle wasn't made. If a call would've been made right or wrong call they can defend. They can't defend the no call.