Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Anytime you are getting paid to do something, it is a job. If it is not a job, do not take any money for it. Do not file taxes for it. Then tell me how much of a job it is not when the IRS comes calling. You also missed my point about when I said job. We are all out their doing something we were assigned to do. If you feel you are going to save a crew because you are ball watching, then do that. I do not have to work with you. It is not me that is going to tell the assignor they do not want to work with you. It is also funny that when I hear these "we have to call everything in the game" people, it is never at a camp, it is never an official that is at the high levels and you cannot find any philsophy that reflects this in the mechanics or rules literature.

Peace
Two problems:

Getting paid for something does not make it a job. I am a volunteer fireman, and have been one for 16+ years. No money for anything there, which makes it less than a job because no money changes hands? I don't think so.

Also, I never said to call everything in a game. However, why do we have rules, if they are not there to be administered? They didn't make the rule and say "When traveling occurs, only call it 2/3 of the time, or when you personally feel it will advance the quality of the game". It says "When traveling occurs, here's the penalty".

I find it funny that listening to our rules interpreter, he is giving us the information by the book. The officials still go out and call whatever they feel like or want to under the circumstances of the game. Why go over the rules by the book, if officials aren't supposed to follow it?

I can find the "Call everything by the rules" stated very clearly - in the rules, as the rules - here's the foul/violation, here's what you're supposed to call. Nowhere in there does it say "Call what you want when you want, and ignore the rest whenever you want."