Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
David, you have no idea what you talking about. First of all, the NBA has different travelling rules than NCAA/NHFS as well as numerous other rules differences. If (and I repeat if) NBA officials are consistently allowing players to take 3 full steps going to the hoop then it's either b/c that's what the NBA rules allow or the NBA officials have direct guidance from their boss(es) on the enforcement of travelling violations in those particular situations.

Secondly, my youngest son attends school with the son of an NBA referee. He said the hardest adjustment from NCAA to NBA was the constant scrutiny he is now under. Every call/non-call is graded. He says the pressure to perform is immense.

So please, stick with discussing covereage areas, b/c your statements concerning NBA officiating are not serving you too well.
Comments from a father of a friend of a son... sounds like rather 3rd or 4th hand information. As for not serving me well... I am entitled to my opinion as much as anyone else. A large number of people I know don't like watching the NBA, because it isn't "basketball" - it's a show.

I looked up the NBA rules on traveling on NBA.com's rulebook. At no point do they allow 3 steps when taking a shot. So if the "guidance from their bosses" is telling them to ignore rules... something is wrong. One of the biggest things with this game is that people pick and choose which rules they wish to enforce, and ignore ones they don't like. I don't understand why we have rules, if assignors and interpreters are free to say "well, we don't want to enforce that rule", or "We don't want that rule enforced that way" - if they want it changed, petition the rules committee. Don't just make it up as you go along.