Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Um, David, NBA officials sureasheck are being graded on the rules and their application. As I said before, every single call that they make is graded, and they are told if they made the correct call or not. And as for traveling, how the NBA wants that called is solely up to the NBA. They give their officials direction. You can't apply NFHS/NCAA philosophies to the pro game. If anybody doesn't agree with the NBA philosophies, then they can do what I do- vote with the "OFF" button on their channel-changer.

2) Hey, I'm serious too. Stand up for what you believe in. If you think that your rules interpreter and everyone else in your association is wrong, then stand up for your convictions and keep calling all over the court. There's just one liitle thing that confuses me though. How come you are so sure that you're right 30 feet away from the play, and your experienced partner is wrong from 6 feet away?

Btw, coaches don't know our mechanics. They do know when someone is calling something from 30 feet away that his partner from 6 feet away has already passed on. Believe you me, they know.

They also know when an obvious call has been missed by your partner near them, and is is obvious to everyone in the place (coach, the other official, etc) that there was a foul/violation. Shouldn't we be striving to get the right call, rather than protecting our partner's calling area? I'd rather justify why I made a call, than to have to (and I feel I need to be honest) say to a coach "Sorry, I saw it, but I can't call it from over here". Some would say, just cover for it... but that isn't in the best interest of the game.

And on the other side of the coin - I would prefer if I miss something for my partner to catch it. I am not so big-headed that I feel i see everything and can make every call perfect - if I miss something, am screened, etc, i would rather they make the call to get it right than to pass on it simply because I am closer. Get it right - that's my motto - in relation to the rules, not the mechanics.

And finally, are the NBA officials being graded on the no-calls? When someone takes 3 full steps going to the hoop, do they get told they should have called it? I highly doubt it.

Last edited by drinkeii; Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 06:28pm.