Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Based on this comment, I really think you have no idea what goes on with the NBA or what the rules are. The rules in the NBA are not as ridged or as black and white. The NBA goes over all aspects of the rules in ways you would never understand. The NBA officials are not forced to just read a rulebook and never talk to the creators of the rules on a regular basis. The NBA officials have an internet meeting every single day, where plays are reviewed and they know what were good calls and bad calls in every single game they officiate. The NCAA or the NF (or state associations) have no such communication between the rules makers and the officials on a monthly basis let alone a daily basis to go over good plays and bad plays from the officials.

You have a right to believe what you want to, but calling stuff all over the court does not make it right. You mentioned that you work other sports other than basketball. I can tell you I would be totally wrong if I went around in those sports and starting calling things I "thought" I saw and was not in position to call. I am a Back Judge on my football crew and I know I do not see things with the line of scrimmage or line play issues. It would be just as wrong for a base umpire to call balls and strikes from a position where you cannot see the plate clearly. Just because you "think" you saw something, does not mean you actually did see what your partner saw. Get it right does not mean that you "got it right" if you partner saw the entire play and you are not watching your area.

No it is not. If I am watching my area, especially when the ball is not around me, I personally do not want to watch the ball because the problems are going to start off-ball. It is easy to watch the ball and if we think there is a travel you can call it. What is hard to do is to stay off-ball and watch things that will creep up into the game much later. If you are not watching your coverage area and roaming, you might just miss the very thing that brings your game into the toilet. It is also one thing to call something that is in a trouble area where two primary coverage areas overlap. It is another thing all together to call something that your partner was watching the entire time. Also at least in 3 man, if you want to get plays right, move and you will be in better position when things change.

Peace
So, bottom line, you're saying the same thing as the other guy - pass on a call where your partner obviously missed the call (and I am, again, going to stress that this was a part of the situation - i noticed he was looking the wrong way and missed it, everyone in the place saw it, video cameras later could back me up... it is not a call my partner passed on, it is a MISSED call by him, and even later, he would admit, seeing the tape, that he missed it) in favor of protecting arbitrary coverage areas? A simple yes or no would apply here. And to me, a yes says the rules are the bottom line (again, beyond safety)... a no says that the rules are not the bottom line, in which case, I would say, why have them.

And as far as the NBA - rules are not rigid or loose - they are what they are - if you choose to insert slack into them, you are enforcing them loosely. If you go by the book, you are enforcing them rigidly. The rules writers didn't write what amounts to 1.5 steps before you travel for it to be interpreted as 2-3 steps when you feel like it, or they would have written that into the rules.