Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Point 1 - that's fine, but they're being graded not in how they call all the rules, or we wouldn't have people taking 4 steps in drives to the hoop, with no traveling call - how often do NBA players travel, and how often is it called? I'm sure that would be an interesting statistic. They ignore some things to benefit star players people want to see play, rather than get called for "minor" (and I used the quotes to indicate i don't consider them such) infractions and "minor" contact fouls. I'm sure if they went through the games and picked on things that, by rule, should have been called, they would have a lot of people who would be out of jobs for ignoring many things, by rule - not by "interpreter" or "assignor" or "association" standards.

Point 2 - Now, that is getting rather facitious. I am being serious. I was told, in front of a group of officials, that I should pass on what is the right call in favor of protecting the calling areas. Isn't our primary job, beyond player safety, to preserve the integrity of the game and get the calls right? Or is it to cover for a partner who obviously missed a call (and this was a point I made - in this example, the official missed the call, and had they seen it, probably would have called it... for the sake of the example), and preserve an arbitrary set of mechanics that no one outside of some knowledgable coaches and the officials themselves knows or understands? I'm not saying to do it all the time - i'm saying it shouldn't be an absolute expectation - it should be a guide.
1) Um, David, NBA officials sureasheck are being graded on the rules and their application. As I said before, every single call that they make is graded, and they are told if they made the correct call or not. And as for traveling, how the NBA wants that called is solely up to the NBA. They give their officials direction. You can't apply NFHS/NCAA philosophies to the pro game. If anybody doesn't agree with the NBA philosophies, then they can do what I do- vote with the "OFF" button on their channel-changer.

2) Hey, I'm serious too. Stand up for what you believe in. If you think that your rules interpreter and everyone else in your association is wrong, then stand up for your convictions and keep calling all over the court. There's just one liitle thing that confuses me though. How come you are so sure that you're right 30 feet away from the play, and your experienced partner is wrong from 6 feet away?

Btw, coaches don't know our mechanics. They do know when someone is calling something from 30 feet away that his partner from 6 feet away has already passed on. Believe you me, they know.