View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
I've got it frozen at the exact moment of the catch, and the player's feet are on the ground, slightly in front of his body - body leaning back. It looks like the ball could've been breaking the plane of the goal line right then, but bad angle. Referee has a better look than I do.

Then two more quick clicks of play and pause, and the player looks completely behind the goal line, to me.

It's pretty clear to me, in slowing it down, that the ball crossed the plane of the goal line (most likely, completely across), so it looks like it should either have been:

1. Touchback, or
2. R's ball at the 1/2 yard line, which I doubt too many Referees would do back there. (8-5-2-a-Exception)
The only way it could have been number 2 is if the ball became dead in the endzone after he possessed it at the 1/2 yard line. Just because his momentum took into the end zone does not mean the play is dead...he still has the opportunity to run it out.

This play is so close that in real-time I'd probably rule no touchback. Now, if you do rule no touchback do you need a bean bag at the 1-foot line or do you just use common sense and since it is a kickoff there is virtually no way he will be tackled in the end zone once he starts his return?