View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
Yes, until the steal there has been no possession in bounds after the initial jump ball.

Don't ask me why they chose to do this way. The FIBA rule committee has plenty of fantasy. For example they decided that a shot ends whenever the ball strikes the ring; so if after this a defensive player reaches through the basket and touches the ball above ring level, it is only a common violation and not basket interference (in FIBA there is no cylinder above the basket to cope with).

I guess that NFHS and NCAA treat differently the situation in the case proposed by the OP. In NCAA there is team control during a throw-in, so the arrow direction can be established as soon as the ball is handed to the thrower-in. In NHFS there is no team control during a throw-in, so the rule has to mention explicitly the exception. Am I right?
This is intresting, becuse my rule-book doesn't say the same. Note this though: my book is the swedish(!) rules. It was first printed and was valid as of 04/05, how ever, I have the rule cahnges for 05/06, nothing there. Was this changed this season? in that case I'm not up to date.

Anyway, my book says (translated offcourse :P) : 12.4.3 The team that does not control the ball "in the jump ball at the start of the game" shall be awarded the first alternating possesion throw-in.

There is nothing said here about a boll on the court, if A bats it out, it's B's ball. At least according to my book. But if we can't agree I'll mail my assignor and ask him about it. But this could also be a national diffrence, I don't think so though :/