Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That is exactly the purpose of the the DSC. The center and the leading AR always try to box in the play. The center has the primary responsibility for the fouls, but the AR helps and the AR has the primary responsibility for offside and ball out of play, but the center helps. The trailing AR watches the players behind the centers back and away from the immediate area of play. This is why it is a superior system to the dual. In the dual you have to sacrifice something. I would rather sacrifice the one or two missed calls a game that are going to happen when the primary referee gets screened out or just misses the call, than the horrendous elbow/kick/punch behind the play. The game can survive if the first is missed, but not the second. You will have a major incident.

We don't do the 3 whistle system, except in playoffs around here. It is always dual. Even the playoffs, it is 3 equal officials, who rotate through all three positions, switching at an opportune time approximately 1/3 and 2/3 of the way through the game. Having never worked in a R + 2 AR's system, I think I would like the fact that offsides would be easier to watch, but have trouble with having a foul, and not being able to call it because the R has to be the one who does.

Yes, the more referees is better. That is why FIFA has gone to FOUR and the WC actually had FIVE this time around. In addition to the 4th official between the benches, there was a spare AR lurking around.
The NFHS needs to come out of the dark ages and ban the dual system. Make three the minimum.
Sounds nice - don't see this happening in our area... What is the purpose of a 4th official between the benches?