View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That's highly amusing, Tomegun, but also shows the value of good prep work. The stuff that we discuss on this forum truly does help us when we take the court. Here is a little blurb that I came across about the NBA crackdown this season. Personally, I love it. I hope that they return to real basketball and that the tougher stance on behavior, quicker Ts, better enforcement of traveling and palming, and the uniform rules filters down through the NCAA ranks to HS. What people see on TV at the NBA level does have an effect on what we have to deal with at the HS level. I think that this is a positive step and can only make our task easier.

http://www.truehoop.com/leaguewide-i...f-the-nba.html

Changes in the Look of the NBA

Referees are visiting training camp and talking about some new things in the NBA this year. It's all along the lines of "take me back to the 1950s" with traveling going to be called more, shirts tucked in all the time, and arm bands and tights are getting the boot. (Can't shake the feeling that there's something to political to the fact that the Nike tights are being nixed just as Adidas comes aboard as the NBA's official supplier.)
Mike Barrett reports on the league's visit to Portland:
Saturday morning an NBA referee, sent by the league, was on hand to address some additional changes. I didn't hear the talk he gave the players, but was told the basics. One of the biggest things the referee stressed was how the rules of travelling were going to be enforced more strictly this season. They are not just going to be paying more attention to footwork, and calling the shuffle steps, but are also going to be tighter on players carrying the ball, or palming. This new NBA ball is so sticky, and so much easier to handle (I've been told by Blazer guards), it'll be much easier to illegally carry it when making one-on-one moves. We've been told before that travelling is going to be called more, so we'll have to see how this is actually applied once the season starts.
Not all the rules talked about by the referee were new rules, he was also clarifying some existing rules, and talking about what will be called tighter this season. Hand checking, and forearm checking was discussed. The NBA is also planning on cracking down on offensive players hooking defenders, in an effort to gain leverage when making a move to get around a defender. They're also trying to clean up the lane during free throws. Before a free throw is attempted, players are no longer allowed to extend their arms into other players to try to gain an advantage. These may seem like little points, but we'll no doubt be discussing them, at least early in the season, during games.
A couple of other minor rules that I've heard are going to be enforced are, players can no longer come to the scorers table, to check in, with their jerseys untucked. On the floor, of course, they've always had to keep shirts tucked in. Those full-length leg tights that got popular last season are no longer allowed. And, sweat bands may be worn only on the wrists, and not on the upper arm or forearm. I thought of Kobe when I heard this one, because he always wears one on his bicep. Well, he used to. That won't be allowed anymore. Players also won't be allowed wear those rubber bands, that have become so popular, on their wrists.

Good, all of that stuff trickles down to the lower levels and I am glad the NBA is taking a STAND!!!!