View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Could it be a simple answer.

I have heard this debate many times over. But, could it just be the simple answer, that, women are not as interested in certain sports as men are. e.g. basketball, football.

Looking at the big picture, the level of interest in basketball in general as a sport, is predominantly more male than female. This is evident in the number of men's recreational leagues as opposed to women's leagues out there.

YOU WILL NEVER INCREASE THE LEVEL OF INTEREST IN OFFICIATING AMONGST FEMALES, UNLESS YOU INCREASE THE LEVEL OF INTEREST IN THE GAME ITSELF AMONGST FEMALES.

The precentage of female officials will always be proportionate to the numbers of females who play the game and/or who are interested int he game. Some of you will say that we always have a girls team and a boys team in the school system and therefore it should be 50/50. However that does not reflect the level of interest, because quite frankly in some schools you can have 5 or 6 boys teams if it was possible, where as girls are just not as interested.

The WNBA is a great step (although I don't know how long that will last), becasue it will bring it into the mainstream media. Getting female coaches is important etc. Once the interest level grows this will be a natural, gradual progression. For us to force it, is wrong and will be a failure. We should commend and encourage female officials, but in no way should we choose female officials over male officials, just to make the numbers right.

Female officials do take more heat, but thats only because of ignorant male egos in male coaches and male players.

Let's not make exceptions or try to tip the scale, and be very carefull of how we deal with gender issues. Because after gender, comes race.