View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41
Hi all,

Out of Curiosity, at the various associations everyone works in, what are the numbers of female officials that are in the group?

If the numbers are like my high school group, then they are on the very low side.

I ask because we had a one day clinic today for new officials in a youth leauge that I work. The assignor noted that there were "19 male officials" and "0 female officials" in the group.

Any ideas why the gals don't ref games that much and how people would recruit girls to officiate more basketball?
As a female official myself, I can give you some insight, but not a lot.

I think one aspect of it is that in general the culture of basketball officials is somewhat male, and it can be hard for a female to feel like she belongs. I got a lot of help by studying (coincidentally, I might add) two books about children called The Wonder of Boys and The Wonder of Girls. When I got done with those books, I understood men a lot better, and also myself. There are basic assumptions about how people relate that are fundamentally not the same for men and women, and it's really hard to get past sometimes.

Another aspect is that there are some physical things that women can have problems with. Lots of girls and women still don't see sweating and grunting and turning red as feminine. I mean it's less true than it used to be, but still there. There are a lot more women refs in volleyball, I think partly because they don't have to get disheveled.

Anlther femininity issue is the aspect of confrontation and competition. It's there in just about every person, but it shows up much differently in many girls, than most boys. There are lots and lots of girls who will say, when challenged, "Yea, you're faster." There's no drive to prove anything in athletics. That makes participation in competitive sports less interesting, and it also keeps women from being in the ref culture, where competition and moving up are very important.

Many women don't handle confrontation well, and can't do the authority thing in the way male coaches and players are accustomed to.

And much as people will deny this, there is still a lot of prejudice against women by many of the men in power namely coaches, ADs and assignors. I know that a lot of individual men don't have this issue, and overall, I think it's gradually getting better. But it's still very much there in lots and lots of associations and cities and towns.

Lastly, there are a lot of practical hurdles for women to ref. It's harder for to find clothes and shoes in the correct sizes and shapes. Much harder. Most reffing happens in the late afternoon and early evening, and many women have other, more important responsibilities at that time of day. This is not necessarily fair, but it is a fact. Just the fact of various menstrual issues that some women have to deal with every month is enough to keep them out. Either they have excessive pain and cramps, or they get exhausted and weak, or bleed heavily enough that control is a problem. Not a lot of women have this struggle, but a lot more women than men!! It's just one more thing.

None of this is insurmountable, as is obvious if you look around. There are many very, very admirable women refs who do a great job, and are respected by all their peers both male and female. There are many female refs at all levels who try to get better and move up, just like there are many men in the same situation. But as far as percentages, I doubt it will ever be 50-50. Women just do have more obstacles than men.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that. What does bother me a lot is people who assume that women who ref are oddities, or that it isn't quite "normal" somehow. I also object to people making assumptions about my sexuality, my lack or sexuality or my genetics or physiology. Ditto about those assumptions about any ref at all. And I really get my panties in a wad when I, and other women refs, get written off or dismissed. Which certain people in my association and in my state do. (Howard, I don't mean you). I have no idea how to overcome that, except to just keep being great. When I'm really upset, I think of the bumper sticker that says, "Women have to be twice as good as men, to get the same recognition. Fortunately this isn't difficult." I know it's not really totally true, but it helps me remember that it's not always my problem.