Thread: NBA Shirts
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 10:55am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
My personal opinion is that officiating in the NBA might just be the hardest officiating job in all sports. The league has been geared to entertainment, with an accompanying relaxation of their own written playing rules. Having to figure out when or who to call traveling or palming on when your boss doesn't want every palm or travel called has to be hard. And also trying to figure out what contact affects or doesn't affect a play sure has to be difficult too. I've seen plays where the contact didn't look like much at all, but one of the players came out of it with a broken nose.

Again, this is jmo, but I really think that today's players have outgrown the size of the court. Lengthen and widen the court, and let 'em spread out and show their skills. Go to the bigger lane. If they can't dribble or pass on the bigger court, then they ain't gonna play until they learn how. And they will learn. It should get rid of the sumo matches that some games look like now too.
OK, I agree with you for the most part. I think what you suggest could be very interesting. I could probably say some things that many wouldn't agree with. I will just say that IMO one of the "best players" and poster boys of the NBA isn't a highly skilled basketball player. I think that fact is masked by his superior physical gifts. Oops, that should have given it away since one person in the NBA is obviously athletically superior to anyone else.

But still Jurassic, why say you aren't a fan of the NBA? Do we lose perspective? You described what the NBA is and I don't disagree with it. I think the changes they are making should make it easier for the officials. A travel should be a travel no matter who does it. I have said what you are saying for years. What if officials looked at Karl Malone the same way they looked at Dennis Rodman? Malone would have had nearly as many T's because he was one big... you know.