View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 05, 2006, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
In every pre-game in every sport, ay every level, after asking, "Coaches are your players legally and properly equipped?" I follow with, "Are there any medical conditions of which we need to be aware?" I am amazed at how many affirmitive reponses I have gotten just this fall... severe asthma, possible seizures, complete deafness (soccer) almost complete deafness (basketball - she could hear the whistle but had real trouble with your words, espcially if there was much crowd noise so it helped to give her the signal about what she did) to diabetics with and without insulin pumps. Don't you think the FED should make this a mandatory part of the pre-game with HC and captains. It might make us aware of a potential serious situation that we might not understand and could get the coaches, a nurse or doctor from the crowd, or trainers on the field or court immediately.
I think this is a fantastic idea! It can only help us in our main task of looking after the safety of the players.

While most of us aren't doctors or EMTs and couldn't do anything for the kid ourselves, if a problem arose, it certainly could help us in identifying a possible situation earlier and getting the player help more rapidly.

While I haven't yet begun to ask the coaches prior to the game, (I will likely start doing so) I am quite good at remembering that #6 had to leave the game in the first half to use her inhaler. If I see her having trouble breathing at some point later in the contest, I am going to stop it as soon as I can.

It really is staggering when I think about it because I have had several players in soccer matches in the past couple of years drop on the field due to asthma and need to have a parent or coach run an inhaler out to them. I've had the poor parent with the inhaler be on the opposite sideline from the teams and not know if he/she could come out onto the field to help his/her kid. If I know this information ahead of time, and can wave a desperate parent on to provide some needed medicine, it can only help a kid. I'm all for that.

I don't recall any problems with asthma when I was a HS player, or peanut allergies, or some of these other issues. I guess it is a different world today.