View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think that in fast pitch it would make sense that F4 would cover the bag when F3 comes off to field the ball. My experience has been that in slow pitch this is rarely done. From what I have seen this mainly comes from the fact that the F4s play very deep in SP (often 20 feet behind what would be a straight line from 1st to 2nd) and even the F3s are usually off the line and 10-15 feet behind the bag. This means that not only will the F4 have to cover all the ground from their position to 1st, but also go behind the F3 who is fielding the ball. This coupled with the fact that the F1 is usually backing away from home plate and will be going toward the ball hit toward right field makes this a much shorter run for the F1 than for the F4. For F4 to cover in most of the SP games I've seen they would have to try to go 70-75 feet, whereas the F1 is only having to go 45-50 feet to cover 1st. I've played more games at pitcher in SP than I've umpired (approx. 500 to 300) and I covered whatever bag was left when an infielder went after the ball; whether that was 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even home if the catcher was making a play. (By the way I played most of those games in North Dakota - but I have seen the same thing done here in Illinois)

It may be done differently on some teams or if the F4 plays shorter, but I don't think it is uncommon.