View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 12:00pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
I guess the question is: Is there "statute of limitations" on calling a violation.

I had a situation: I'm lead, 2 person. A1 has a throw in from the corner in A's frontcourt. I administer the throw-in. A1 throws the ball, it hits the side of the backboard, and rebounds right to A1. She grabs the ball, puts up a try, and scores. I'm there saying in my mind "something's wrong...something's wrong" Team B inbounds and get a few steps up the court, when it dawns on me: A1 threw it in and was the first to touch the ball. I immediately blew the whistle and wiped the basket. Now, if the play had gotten to mid court, I don't know if I would have felt comfortable wiping the basket at that point. But since we were still in the vicinity of the play, and only a few seconds had elapsed, I felt comfortable.

So, what is the statute of limitations on calling a violation?
I don't think there is a limit on a certain amount of time to make a call. The problem in the original post is that a call was made after time-out was called and the coach prompted the officials to do so. Now this is no longer a call to be made, but an error to be corrected.

A missed violation is not a correctable error, according to myself and several others, as vigorously stated on the last 80 or so pages on this thread.

Lonesome Dove