View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Re: Oh, my!

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by SOWB_Ref
Does anyone else see the trend that players usually follow the example in conduct set by there coach? This is a generalziation, but geez I usually have more problems with players whose coaches can't keep it in check themselves.

In my pregame with coaches I try to emphasize this by saying"The players will follow our(coaches and officials)example so let's maintain a professional and sportsmanlike attitude throughout the game."

Doesn't usually change those who are true howler monkeys.
SOWB_Ref,
If I were a coach, and a young, arrogant official said that condescending quip to me before a game, I would be aggravated from the start.
If a really nice official said that to me, I would think he is a young, arrogant and condescending official.
mick
I wouldn't consider this arrogant or condescending in the least. I think it's another way of verbalizing an official's emphasis for sportsmanship. There was no finger pointing. The officials were included as part of the equation for professionalism and sportsmanship. I like it. I think I'll use it in my next coaches conference.