View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I see your point. In my opinion 9.2.2sitC is written poorly in that it isn't stating when the official recognized the violation. As I wrote earlier, I think the scoring the basket portion should have been left out the scenario and the focus should have been just squarely on calling the violation for not properly inbounding the ball.
I'm not sure it's poorly written. Maybe they left it vague on purpose. But one thing that isn't vague is the fact we can have a live ball, then a dead ball, then go back and call the violation. In other words, getting it right.

Now, I will still go back and say I'm not going to get into a judgement discussion with my partner about whether or not the player really was completely OOB. Just like we are not going to get into a discussion about whether the ball did or did not hit the support. But, if my partner tells me, "Uh, yea, I saw him still in-bounds, but I thought it was ok because the player intended to take the ball OOB...", then we're going to correct it, just like the rule book says we can.

(Used with permission.)