View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 10:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Well, really quickly, answer me this - does the case play suggest you are making the correction after the ball becomes dead (after the basket)? And the reason for the correction is the ball never really became "live" in the first place, due to the violation?

Of course they want us to make the call when it happens. But aren't they telling us that we can blow the whistle after another play happens (pass downcourt, catch, layup, basket), and wipe that off, because we are going back in time to call that violation?
Well technically, in 9.2.2sitC didn't the ball become live as soon as B1 had ball at his disposal (grabs ball and moves towards endline).

I don't think the focus of 9.2.2sitC is the cancelling of the basket (that info is superflous in my opinion), the focus is that throwing such a pass should be ruled a violation.

There have been officials in the past (myself included) who would have just blown the play dead and had B1 properly inbound the ball reasoning that the ball never became live so no violation occurred. Now with the clarification of "disposal after a made shot" by the FED, the scenario in 9.2.2sitC clearly is a violation and needs to be ruled as such.