Thread: kicked a call!
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:29am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
but, the opposing coach called a time-out after the ball was put into flight on the 2nd freethrow,
Doug - don't think this is just a semantics lesson, but I do want to make a point here. Some officials, usually newer ones, are of a mind set that coaches can call timeout. They can't. They can only request them. Only the officials can call them.

If all officials would burn that into their memories, there would be fewer mistakes on calling timeouts when they weren't allowable.

What I mean is this - don't just react to a coach's request by immediately blowing your whistle. When you hear (and/or see) a coach request a timeout, first think of the situation and whether or not he can legally have one before blowing your whistle. I know you have to do this is an incredibly short period of time to do it correctly, but getting in the habit of thinking first will eventually lead to it becoming instinctive.

Please don't confuse my point with the situation where a coach requests a timeout during a time when he normally can have one, but he is out of them. That's not what I'm addressing.