View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
First of all, you are right on point 2, since the ball hadn't become live, we could return to the improper player from A shooting as the POI and resume play accordingly. I missed that, and thank you for the correction.

With the other points, I wasn't advocating just making up my own rules or making a decision based on what I feel is equitable, but rather that it is a situation that is likely to be seen by coachs, fans, etc (all the people that doen't really understand the rule) as unfair. I know fair is based on the rules and we are responsible for creating fairness by getting the play right according to the rules. I'm just saying, I would hate to be the ref that has to tell B's coach that we are cancelling his team's FT's going to make A reshoot and then give A the ball back.

I relate this to a situation I had a couple of years ago where the table failed to let us know that A was in the bonus. We gave A the ball to inbound following foul 7 (table had miscounted, clearly had 7 marked just didn't count right) and proceeds to hit a 3 point-shot. B's stat-keeper realizes as the shoot is in the air that A should have been shooting FT's and B immediately calls a TO following the made shot. This brings us to the lovely situation of having to count the 3, then award A1 is FT's (he makes both) and then return to B's ball. All of this is based on rule, but it sure makes for a fired-up coach for B.