View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Nosiree, BillyJoeBob. You ain't getting off that easy. It ain't a judgment call. The official was sure that he missed a foul.

A player pushes off to get a rebound, and grabs the ball and scores. After the throw-in, the team scored on calls a TO. The coach says "Wassup with the push-off? Howcome no foul?" . One official says "Gee, that was a foul. I shoulda called it". The other official didn't see the play. Can the official now go back and call the foul and wipe out the bucket because a foul happens when it occurs, not when it gets called? And the ball was dead anyway because an official's whistle seldom makes the ball dead?

So....according to you, he can go back and call the foul. Right?
Real world? Hell no. But my reasoning would still involve judgement - it was faulty judgement that allowed the foul to go uncalled.

Ok, since we're on the subject of real world - let's say I work for a grumpy, old assignor. I give him a call after the game, and give him the following information:

Our game went pretty smooth, except for one problem. I was at L, and BillyBob was at T. A1 shoots, the ball bounces high off the rim, and goes through. B's coach calls TO right away, and I see him talking to BillyBob. BillyBob calls me over and tells me the coach is asking why the basket counted, since it hit the support. I ask BB if he's sure it did, and he tells me, "Hell yea, it hit the guy wire. That's still in play, right?" So I tell him, nope, he lost his gold star for the evening. We called both coaches over, and I told them we screwed up a rule and counted the basket when it should've been OOB after hitting the support. We took off the basket, and gave the ball to B for a spot throw-in. A's coach grumbled a little, but I think he saw it hit as well.

So, how badly would our crew get dinged for handling it this way?

(Used with permission.)