View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Camron - I agree this is the main discussion. I guess what I'm wondering is in the basket support play, the play directly results in a (by rule) dead ball passing through the hoop, but being counted as a score. In your missed travel, you can still say it was the official's judgement in ruling the play was not a travel. Really bad judgement if it was obvious, but judgement nontheless. Maybe a closer example would be a player directly inder the basket steps OOB while going up for a reverse layup. Your partner says, yes, he saw the player step OOB before releasing the shot, but that's legal because the player had already started their shooting motion. Of course, after you say "WTF!" a couple of times, can you correct that call? Should you correct that call?
Still, the traveling situation is the same. Say the player took the ball from a backcourt throwin, ran 10 steps without dribbling and then dribbled a few times before the shot into his basket. It's not a matter of judgement that there was a travel, but, for some reason, the official didn't call it. It results in a score. A violation should have been called but wasn't.

Not calling the violation in either case didn't result in the score. It just merely allowed play to continue. Other actions (the ball going through the hoop) actually was the cause of the score.

The possible correctable errors that result in a counting a basket that are correctable are
  • counting of the shot as 3 vs 2
  • counting a made basket when there was a PC foul
  • counting a made basket when offensive BI/GT is called
  • counting a made basket when an offensive violation (elbows, leaving hte court, etc.) is called with the ball in the air (ball dead immediately)
  • etc.
All of these resulted in a score that can be corrected (canceled). Note that all of them have to do with the administration of the scoring in relation to a called infraction or the value of the score, not with a missed infraction.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Nov 01, 2006 at 01:49pm.