View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Dan, not including your shot clock example would you go back in time and change something after a coach calls a timeout to question it? Have you been playing devil's advocate this whole time?
Playing devils advocate somewhat, but I would definitely take away the basket in Bob's play simply because my partner didn't know the rule. He screwed it up and I would have taken the opportunity to fix it.

When the shot clock came to the local high schools by me a while ago there was a somewhat similar play. I was L. A1 puts up a shot, shot clock horn sounds, ball misses rim and goes OOB at the endline off B1. My partner at T didn't have a whistle so I assumed the ball hit and signal A's ball on the OOB off B. Coach A calls a timeout and Coach B walks on the court..."Dan! The ball missed the rim! How could it be be their ball? It was a shot clock violation!" I huddled with my partner, asked him if the ball missed the rim he said yep, said he froze on the play. I brought the coaches together, explained what happened and it was B's ball on the shot clock violation. Also told coach A he can have his timeout back if he wanted it. Coach A said no, he'll keep the time out, smiled and said good job (not that his opinion meant anything at the time...just pointing out that there are some reasonable ones out there).

The violation did not go away because my partner froze. There was zero judgement involved. It was still a violation, we just administered the penalty late.