View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 01:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Coupla points -

1)- what do you mean by "retroactively?" Seconds? Minutes? Until the next dead ball?

2) - I already gave an example where a shot clock violation can be called "retroactively". You were smart enough to igore it.

3) - What I'm asking JAR to do is show in the rule book where it says "it aint a violation until the whistle blows". I don't think it sez that anywhere. Do you?
First, let me apologize profusely for missing this post. You have no idea how badly I feel that I did not respond until now.

1) By "retroactively", let's say the next whistle, just to pick a point in time. That next whistle might be seconds; it might be minutes. It depends on when it occurs naturally in the game. You might also have one or several changes of possession before the next whistle. And....just to make a point, "retroactively" could also mean something that happened last quarter or last half.

2) I don't have a clue about the ins-an-outs of an NCAA shot clock violation, or the rules governing them. I ignored it because there was nothing that I could say either way due to my lack of knowledge.

3) You will never find anything like that in the rule book. You're into philosophy now. Does anything really happen before a whistle blows...whether it be fouls, violations, technicals, etc? What if there was a violation, but it never got called? Does that mean that that violation never occurred?

Now it's my turn. Where in the rule book may I find anything that states an official can go back and retroactively call a foul or a violation?