View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Violation - a rules infraction of the type listed in rule 9.
One of the officials' duties is to determine when the ball becomes dead.
I guess Dan is right, a violation that isn't called is still a violation. However, there still isn't a rule that allows us (no I'm not perfect Dan ) to go back and fix what occurred because a violation was missed.
I agree we can't go back and call a missed violation, because that would be a judgement call. But, in this case, your partner didn't "miss" the violation (didn't see it, wasn't in position, wasn't looking there, etc.), they mis-applied a rule by calling the ball in play even though it did hit the support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
This is where we must be responsible. Responsible to tell the coach that basically there isn't anything that can be done, responsible to work on our craft so these types of mistakes don't happen and responsible for knowing the rules - and not cheating on the test!
So, if we shoot an undeserved 1-and-1, and the coach calls our attention to it right away, do we tell them, "Basically, there isn't anything that can be done. We'll try to be more responsible in working on our craft, coach. We'll make sure that mistake doesn't happen again."? Of course not, because there is a way to step into that famous Wayback Machine and fix it.

(Used with permission.)