View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
"Obstructing the view of the goalie"

In a high school regional semi-final game (Div. I in Ohio, big schools), I was told that a goal was called back after much deliberation due to a player "obstructing the view of the goalie". Apparently, this was in the midst of normal play and there were about 10-12 players in the penalty area. Given, I don't know the full facts, but this is my opinion of the call:

There is no such foul as "obstructing the view of the goalie" unless it involves a player in the offside position, so the call would be Offside. A goalie can also be "obstructed", but that is during a set play, such as a corner kick or a direct/indirect kick. If a player obstructs the goalie from his/her attempt to get the ball, without he/she him/herself going to play the ball, then "obstruction" is the call. If in the midst of play, the goalie is shielded by players and a goal is scored, it is an incorrect call for it to be called "obstructing the view of the goalie" unless the player was in an offside position. There should have been no call and the goal allowed.

Can I get some clarification on this? Nevadaref?