View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 01, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I think the point being discussed really revolves around whether the words "results in" in the correctable error rule mean:
  1. immediate and directly related to the rule being set aside.
  2. subsequent actions that follow setting aside a rule.
It is my belief that the (1) is intended. If it were to be (2), then an obvious but missed traveling in the backcourt would be subject to a correctable error if the team scores on that possession and the other team's coach questions it. The score wouldn't have happend if the travel had been called. We don't go back and get that. So, if we don't call it when it happens, we don't go back and get an OOB violation, even if it is just a fraction of a second before the score.

The rule set aside must be directly related to the counting or canceling the goal itself, not a prior infractions.
Camron - I agree this is the main discussion. I guess what I'm wondering is in the basket support play, the play directly results in a (by rule) dead ball passing through the hoop, but being counted as a score. In your missed travel, you can still say it was the official's judgement in ruling the play was not a travel. Really bad judgement if it was obvious, but judgement nontheless. Maybe a closer example would be a player directly inder the basket steps OOB while going up for a reverse layup. Your partner says, yes, he saw the player step OOB before releasing the shot, but that's legal because the player had already started their shooting motion. Of course, after you say "WTF!" a couple of times, can you correct that call? Should you correct that call?

(Used with permission.)