View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
Does anyone have a preview of the proposed rule changes that may or may not make it to the floor, and projections about those that will pass?

Mike, Steve, anyone?
Funny you should ask.

Define a "PLAY" as : An attempt by a defensive player on a batted or thrown ball to retire a runner or a batter-runner. A pitch is not a play except as it relates to an appeal play"

Probably pass

Move adult SP bases to 70'

It SHOULD be passed, but probably will not.

Change JO pitching distance to 43' for: G16U, G18U (depends on which rule change you address)

Should pass

Change the rule concerning a pitching or base distance discovered to be incorrect. The change is to when discovered, correct the error and revert back to the previous completed inning. If the first inning, restart the game.

This has to be because someone thought they were "cheated". I don't like the change and hope it does not survive committee

Change the batters box to 4' X 8'. In effect, adding a foot to the rear and outside of the box.

This was changed for 16" SP, so now it is being changed to, get this, "eliminate many conflicts concerning batters being out of the box. Bull$hit! This change was made in 16" to give the batter more room to run. I don't think regular SP softball needs to add space promoting running in the BB and allow the batter to provide more impetus to a batted ball already leaving the bat at an extremely high rate of speed.

Add a 2nd home plate to the Co-Ed Class B game.

If this change is going to happen, and I hope it does not, it should be to all Co-Ed, not just the Bs

Use a strike mat for Senior softball

I hate the mat. It is not fair to the pitcher, short batter or the umpire and I don't care how old they are.

Change the pitcher's glove restriction to include "not the color of the ball"

Should pass

Allow 10U Girls (FP & SP) to bat the bench as long as both teams bat the same number of players

I hope someone chokes on this one..

Same thing with the Senior SP, but no requirement for batting order to be even and it eliminates the short-handed out if someone must leave the game.

...and die on this.

Redefine the "scoring of runs" to include the ITB situation

Should pass

There are 8 proposed changes screwing with the allowable HRs for men's SP

Don't care

SP change allowing the pitcher to "take a position with both feet firmly on the ground and with one or both feet within the 24" width of the pitchers plate anywhere between the pitchers plate and second base" prior to delivering the pitch. All other requirements stay in place with the exception of the pivot foot contacting the PP

I consider this a joke and an insult to the players of the game. Unfortunately, with Jerry Hanson's name on it, the change has a chance

Men's FP: Eliminate the requirement of the step to remain inside the width of the PP

I believe this is a change to keep up with the Jones'

There are a multitude of changes eliminating the word "intentional" or "intentionally" when it pertains to interference.

The reason given was that the definition of "interference" in rule 1 does not mention "intention" so it shouldn't be part of the rules. I consider this a very dangerous change. This means that the runner from 1st to 2nd MUST go poof in a heartbeat or take one between the eyes and have the runner closest to home ruled out. Same thing with a deflected batted ball. The runner would be ruled out, intention or not. Same thing with the batter IN THE BOX. Don't care if the s/he is off balance, still in a follow through or whatever, if the catcher is hindered throwing to a base, INT is the call.

Under BR is out (8.2.D-H). The effect is changed to return all runners to the base occupied at the time of the pitch, not interference.

My issue with this is that other players which are not violating any rules is being punished. With D, which covers the BR leaving the field of play being ruled out. The player isn't violating any rule, just giving up on the play. As it pertains to the INT situations, this change is more punitive than necessary. The defense is already being given an out that was not definite at the time of the violation and the runners are no longer permitted to run.

I think it is poorly worded and lacks specification, but I believe the intent is to eliminate all men's SP from being required to run awarded bases and possible HRs

I don't particularly care for walk-off HRs, but I really don't care what they do with them. I really don't like the idea of not being required to touch awarded bases unless it is a 4-base award.

Delete all the 10U baserunning restrictions. There is also a change deleting the rule for 10U A ball only

Florida is stating that the teams there will not play ASA because of this specific rule. I don't buy it, but I really don't care. BTW, the 10U I've seen will be a joke if this is dropped. Then again, I'm in DE and not any of the softball hubs.

Add an exception to the awarding of bases on an overthrow: "When the runner from 1st is between 2nd and third when a fielder catches a fly ball and then releases the throw that subsequently goes out of play, the runner from first should only receive two bases from the last base legally touched".

Yeah, I know it is the same, but in the reasoning the author is making the declaration that because the runner from 1B had to return, s/he has not legally touched 2B, therefore the runner, who properly retouches the required bases should only be awarded 2 bases from 1B instead of the runner's position at the time of the release. The author should be required to attend five national schools and the UIC clinic at their own expense until they are allowed to submit another rule change.

There you go. Remember, you asked for it and I just facilitated your request.