View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Throw In after Made Basket

I just started officiating a two year ago so I'm fairly new. I'm not sure if this applies to most officials when they start, but I got most of my basketball rules knowledge from watching the NBA and some from NCAA. Now that I'm a high school official, I'm trying not to confuse myself with NBA rules anymore.

Here's the question. Is there anywhere in the rulebook that addresses throw-in violations after a made basket? Like say the player throwing the ball in doesn't completely step out of bounds or has at least one foot on the endline when he throws. If it's a violation, I'm assuming the penalty is loss of possession.

Also, should a violation be called in situations like: (1) Team B just made a basket. A1 picks up the ball for the throw-in, has the ball ready to throw for about 1-2 seconds, then A2 grabs the ball from A1 OOB and decides to do the throw-in himself. (2) Same as #1 except A1 PASSES the ball to A2 OOB to do the switch. Does the length of time A1 has the ball ready for the throw-in have anything to do with it?