View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
Neither in Tennessee where I am now, nor in South Carolina, where I was until 3 years ago, do coaches evaluate officials. In SC, there was a rating system that included officials evauations and test score, that determined how far you went in the playoffs. I'm still not clear on the Tennessee system, but I think your local association nominates you and the state decides somehow. After having 3 state finals games in SC, I have only had one playoff game in Tennessee. Of course, the first year I was in Tennessee, I continued to work my Friday night games in SC, so I have really only had one full year in Tennessee.
Smiley,

I have worked in Tennessee 25 years. I am not 100% certain the following information is correct, but I believe it is.

When I first started, the local associations would let the State know who they recommended for playoff games, and the State would assign officials to the games. We would receive a letter from the State on Monday telling us where to go that Friday. I often worked more than one round during this period.

The method of assigning games has changed in the past few years, but I do not know exactly when the change occurred. Now, the State assigns games to the local associations, and the local associations assigns the games to the officials.

Who works the games depends on the philosophy of the local associations. Some work the same officials every week. Others spread the games over all the qualified officials. My association is one that spreads the wealth. We rarely get more than one game unless we are going to work a final or semi-final. If we will have a semi, we will work the second round. If we are going to have a final, we will work the quarter-finals.

The change resulted in less playoff games for me, but that is OK. Our younger officials know that if they work hard, develop good mechanics, and display excellent rules knowledge and application, they can get a playoff game early in their career (third or fourth year). This incentive helps us retain good officials and also helps us recruit transfers. Almost every year, we get two or three new officials with high school varsity experience, and about every other year, we get someone with college experience.

Are you going out Friday? I will be at Springfield.