Thread: Team Tech?
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey
Chuck and JR,

i understand that same casebook play and its intent for a minor type offense. Even in that ruling the wording isvery specific in the wording "in this situation" Which means to me that you might not apply that casebook play to other multiple infraction type situations like 3 people leaving the bench during a fight. Or, 6 bench personnel calling you a MFer. And you wouldn't apply necessarily that ruling to multiple dunks before the game starts. So, somebody has to decide the seriousness of the infractions and address them with their own specific casebook play i.e. "in this situation". Right?

My only question is who made the jersey removal similar to bench personnal standing during a f. throw? Fed? IAABO? Guys like us?
Mulk,
You make a very good point. It is a huge difference to charge only a team technical foul vs two player technical fouls. If only 2 team members do this, then that doesn't sound like "multiple infractions" to me. I may well go with two player technical fouls. The referee gets to use judgment here. The NFHS interp published last season said that 12 team members did this, not 2. The ruling there was what Chuck and JR have told you. I'm not sure that it applies in this case, but I can't state exactly how many team members would mean a change from player techs to a team tech in such situations.