View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

In Ohio we have an even more convaluted system designed to be so inclusinve that none of it has any impact. Now the system has five components

1.Coaches-They are to vote on each position in each game. The officials do not have access to the voting results until 99 games are voted on. Based on my current avereage varsity schedule, I should get this meaningful feedback in the year 2015. Coaches are not paying attention to what we are doing. They only pay attention to us when it positively or negatively impacts their team.

2. Athletic Directors- In my experence they do not watch the game, and certainly do not watch the officials. Instead they are taking tickets, counting money and all of their other duties on game night.

3. The local associations- Each local association can nominate up to thirty officials. This done by a vote. The question is, when I am doing my game on Friday night how am I supposed to watch all of my fellow officials? Can't. It is a popularity contest and is divisive to our association.

4. League Assignors. They obviously can't watch six or eight games every friday. Thus where do they get their information. Yes, you guessed it. From coaches complaining.

5.State staff- Yes those guys in Columbus who most of us have never met. There are over 2,500 of us and less than 5 of them.

The weight that each component carries is not disclosed nor are we told the outcome of any of the votes other than that of our association.

The results- Here is an example. In our association we nominated three umpires. None of the three received any playoff assignments. However, another Umpire from our association who was not nominated received five games including a state championship.