View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Going for Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Actually FED rules do prohibit arguing balls/strikes but you don't seem to understand that...that's okay.

There is a difference, IMO, between a manager/coach arguing balls/strikes and questioning a tag at second. An example: Thursday night I was the BU working 2-man in an Adult League game. Possible double play situation but the throw was bad and caused F4 to be pulled off 2B. F4 and R1 made contact but R1 made it safely to 2B. The defensive manager "asked" for time and came out to talk with me about the play.

Coach to me: "Al I know he was off the bag, but he tagged him"
Me to coach: "No coach, he ran into him but there was no tag. I was in perfect position on the play and saw it all the way."
Coach to me: "Okay Al, thanks"

I'll admit that not all conversations with coaches go this smoothly but I have a reputation for busting my butt to get into position and making good calls (now patting myself on the back ). Also I've worked dozens of games for this coach so he knows that if I weren't 100% sure I would go for help.

Bottom line: I'll talk with a coach occasionally on close plays. Sometimes a coach has to come out and question a call. There are times when he wants to hear your explanation for making a call. Some umpires may not allow this but I do. What I will not allow is a coach to come out to the plate and question my strike zone.
Was this obstruction or interference?

Last edited by SAump; Sun Oct 29, 2006 at 11:35am.