Thread: push with ball
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 11:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I'd use casebook play 10.3.7SitB as a guide. It's kinda similar in that you have a thrower contacting a defender with the ball. The only real difference is that he releases the ball first in the case play.

It's a judgment call and you should use the same criteria as the ruling of the case play imo:
- Was it a voluntary, planned act?
- Was the ball contact caused by the movement of the defender?
- Was the act of an unsporting nature?

If your answers are yes, no and yes, then call an unsporting technical foul of some kind on the thrower. That would also make the answer True btw.
I was not picturing this casebook play to be applicable. Throwing the ball and striking an opponent in the face would, in my mind, be totally different than a push (it might have even been a gentle push) in the chest.
If A1 screamed "Get outa my face, you *****!" and then violently shoved B1 with the ball, I might have a technical, but picture a small kid making this play, who obviously can't see over/around the defender. He/she instinctively gives a subtle push to the opponent's chest with the ball, giving him/herself a little breathing room to make a pass. Unless there is a specific rule about contact with the ball, or a specific rule about a foul by the thrower-in reaching through the line, (I am aware of neither) I say this could be a common foul. I also put this question on the list of those that do not translate well from game conditions to paper.

Lonesome Dove